LogIn

B.C. Boat and Sportsmen's Show
Forums > Fly Fishing > ANYONE catch springs on a flyrod in the Fraser
Moderators: anglingbc, WEBFLYZ BC
Last Post: Fri, Aug 22, 2003   Topics: 53   Posts: 7
Forums Forums Search Search    Memberlist Memberlist
New Topic     Reply View unanswered posts
anglingbc Tue, Aug 19, 2003 - 12:37 PM     Subject: ANYONE catch springs on a flyrod in the Fraser Quote
Email:m1a3xim@yahoo.com
Lake or River:Fraser

I know most people catch springs in the Fraser by bottom bouncing, or spin n glos,...which I have no problems with. I was just wondering if ANYONE catches them on a flyrod in the Fraser? If so, what is the preferred setup? Thanks!
Guest Wed, Aug 20, 2003 - 12:37 PM     Subject: RE:ANYONE catch springs on a flyrod in the Fraser Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 Ideally you want a spey rod, the river is too fast and strong and add a 20pound plus salmon into the factor ..you know what i mean.
A spey set up will give you the power to play the fish and also give you the distance casting and line control you would want.
If you are going to use a one handed rod..you would be looking at least a 10wt rod.
The problem with that is i don't know where i would use that set-up except for spring..so i'd rather get myself a spey rod where i can use it for more applications.
:)
Guest Wed, Aug 20, 2003 - 12:37 PM     Subject: can't really fly on the frazr Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 waters 2 fast by the time your line sinks you'll have 2 retrve... kind of pointless. u know. 8) . i love 2 fly but certan places call 4 certain rods.
Guest Wed, Aug 20, 2003 - 12:37 PM     Subject: RE:ANYONE catch springs on a flyrod in the Fraser Quote
Thunderfish Thu, Aug 21, 2003 - 12:37 PM     Subject: RE:ANYONE catch springs on a flyrod in the Fraser Quote
mike.c Thu, Aug 21, 2003 - 12:37 PM     Subject: RE:ANYONE catch springs on a flyrod in the Fraser Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 try LC13 .Chop it up.put it on a shooting line ,duck... a lot!
WildBill Fri, Aug 22, 2003 - 12:37 PM     Subject: RE:ANYONE catch springs on a flyrod in the Fraser Quote

I have caught quite a few springs from the Campbell River though on a fly. (couple off the local beachs too)

I use normally at least a 9 wieght 14' spey rod. (have caught them on single egg fly with gear as light as 4 wieght with 4lb test line in the Quinsam,.... but not intentionally) I use sink tips, sometimes a short bit of lead core on the end of that even if the water is high. (springs here often hold in quite fast water)

I don`t know how well they bite on the Fraser but they will bite pretty well here as long as they are fresh (silver). I find small streamer patterns work well for very fresh (silver) fish, colored yarn/marabou or egg flys for "bronze" colored fish. ( dark patterns like a black GP or egg sucking leach work well too sometimes)

Once they progress from "bronze" to darker I leave them alone, as they are starting to build thier redds by then mostly. (they don`t fight well either when dark, although they do still bite)

We also get a few of these big guys every year on 8 wieghts while fishing coho, they can go over 40 pounds here. I don`t like to tire them out too much on the light gear though, especialy in the lower river where the seals will catch them.
I try to use a hook that will straiten out if I accidently snag one ....and line that I can break off if need be..nothing above 14 pound test. It is pretty much impossible to handle them at all if you snag one, better to just break it off and start again....easier on your gear...andprobably on the fish too.

If I target these fish I do so on a part of the river where I have a reasonable chance of landing them quickly. (within 10-15 mins) If the battle goes more than 20 minute I usually break the fish off....this happens more often than you might think. I have seen too many of these fish killed by a long fight.....20 minutes is really pushing it.

I have seen fish over 40 lbs landed on 8 wieght gear, but I have seen far, far more lost.... a lot of lost fly lines and more than a couple of broken rods as well.
Username:    Password:    Remember Me:
The views expressed within this forum are not necessarily those of the AnglingBC Fishing Forum.
Inappropriate content may be edited or removed

[ Home | Contact Us | Advertise Here | Search Engine Optimization | Resorts Lodges | Guides Charters | Fishing Clubs | Tackle Suppliers | Gear for Sale | Product Reviews | Fly Fishing | Bass | Halibut | Kids Fishing | Salmon | Steelhead | Sturgeon | Trout | Hunting | Fishing Reports | Fishing Forum | Books | Articles | Events | BC Info | Fishing Links | Gallery ]

Copyright © 2018, GetSet! Communications All rights reserved.