LogIn

B.C. Boat and Sportsmen's Show
Forums > Fly Fishing > Coho Flies, lures (and flossing) from the Report page
Moderators: anglingbc, WEBFLYZ BC
Last Post: Wed, May 4, 2005   Topics: 53   Posts: 2
Forums Forums Search Search    Memberlist Memberlist
New Topic     Reply View unanswered posts
anglingbc Wed, May 4, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: Coho Flies, lures (and flossing) from the Report page Quote
Joined: Jul 2006 Shak: I do give lessons and have been for many years. Any experienced fisherman knows that coho prefer shallower flats where the dogs and springs do not venture. The one indicator that reveals if you are flossing them is that the hook will conctantly be in the outside corner of the mouth. Also when your retrieve is slow-medium and the fish hits on the pause of the retrieve this also reveals that they are pursuing the fly. And when you have 10 times as many chums cruising the flats(on occasion) and you don't hook any chums or even snag one, this also reveals that flossing is out of the question. And again, when the coho hits your fly right by your rod tip, practically lunging for it at the last second this is yet another indicator that it might not be a flossed fish. One thing that experienced flychuckers know is that coho love to chase flys whether in fresh or saltwater. I have caught over 500 coho on the fly in last 3 years and haven't flossed one!
You might be a tad bitter because you aren't doing so well.
Cheers Brian

Brian, great insight on coho flys and flossing. I too fly fish usually for rainbows and steel head. I tried for coho last year on the fly with no luck. I wanted to state that where some fish for ho's on the lower fraser, the water clarity is very mirky and muddy so fly fishing for any species down there probably doesn't work. If you think otherwise, please share it. As well, where I fish, its the dogs that are close to shore in 3 to 5 feet of water, not the coho which don't even seem to be around when the dogs are barking.
Fishin

I fly fish the lower fraser for pinks and coho, works fine with a floating line and no the fish are not flossed you can see them come up for it.
Matt

Matt, from our last discussions I thought you did not fish this section of the fraser. If you do, what fly do you find works best. I figure small red, like a blood worm, or, would something you use for steelhead work. I just may try it on my five weight next time out.
Fishin

Responding to "FISHIN's" post the fact that you mentioned "the dogs are barking" indicate that you are an amature and a beak. Coho will indeed stike a fly if the right conditions exist. Slow water, dark overcast weather, and the ability to find Coho minus any chums or springs.

Anyone who thinks flysihing for Coho is flossing has never tried it, and believe me there are the masses of meat fishers who are too lazy to even give it a go. It takes years to master flyfishing to the point where one will consistantly catch fish, and when you do, it's far more rearding in my opinion. Drift fishers simply don't have the patience.
Chucky

Sorry Fishin, I read your report again. I was way too harsh. My apologies!
Chucky

Chucky, chuchy such harch words. I fly fish, river bar fish, steelhead fish and ocean fish all while being legally blind. Lets try that on for size. Finding coho in the lower fraser where the river is a half mile across has got nothing to do with weather or dogs. Its got everything to do with which bar you are fishing at on any given day. Unlike valley fishing, I live in east richmond where i can literaly walk from one arm to the other. So oh wise man, give me a sure way to catch em on the vast lower fraser.
Fishin

Chucky, apology accepted. Glad you read it over. Please disregard any of my sarcastic comments on my last report. Do you have any advice on fly fishing the lower fraser and if it is even worth a try. Thanks.
Fishin

These arguments make me reach for the barf bag. Any capable fly tosser knows that coho will chase and take a fly under the right conditions of fly pattern and water conditions. Resolving these conditions is what fishing is all about.
Ian

I like fishing a weighted wooly bugger with flash in it. I find most takes come while doing a faster, tritching strip.good luck!
Matt

I do not fish the lower fraser, that is below Stave river. I mostly flyfish in clear water from the stave to harrison and use weighted buggers and muddlers in various colors such as olive and gold/brown. Fast retrieves do work well but when they're there and not biting fast then go slow and steady and WHAM! Quite often I get hits as my fly sinks too. Cheers.
Brian

To all you guys who have posted replies to my inquiries, thanks so much for your insight. Half the challenge of catching fish is finding different ways of presenting baits to lure them. It seens the lower fraser is open to only a few types, bar rig, float and possibily spiners, thats about it. I would love to try some of the systems all you guys fish some day and enjoy having salmon on the fight and then let them be.
You guys have been of great help and I will continue to try for Ho's down here and will post any sucess. Tight Lines...Fishin.

Actually i have fished over 30 years here in lowermainland i will guarantee you i will out fish you for coho with a lure and oh ya coho dont prefure shallow water guy they hold in big pools and under logs and embankements if there in shallowthere moving and oh ya my family are guides to i also have a 21 foot jet boat so bring it on ill even use a fly rod with a dew worm on it and catch more then you have seen and i dont like to fish zoos i fish water up north everychance i have i catch trout bigeer then your vedder coho catch a northern guy then talk.
Shakyii

Coho are fairly easily caught on metal, flies, and definitely bait. I have found that fresh fish, coming in a high tide are suckers for almost anything. Growing up in the Interior,I used to exclusively flyfish, now I throw metal, flies, and for steelies, sometimes bait. Maybe if the trend continues, I'll have given up chironomids for using shiner guts for bullheads. The message-don't be a fishing snob-you never know what you'll be doing five years from now. Also, I got a few coho on a Mickey Finn in Mariah Slough, one was even clipped (anyone know anything about this?). Fish near the culvert and cliffs. Adios, play nice in the sandbox.BigS
Big Shrimper

Flyfishing has never been about catching more fish; it is about enjoying fishing more. There is an art and satisfaction that comes from casting home made flies to fish and having them actually bite a bunch of feathers and thread that you have constructed into an attractive offering. It is precisely the challenge that is what makes flyfishing so rewarding. To argue that flyfishing is better than another method, or that you can catch more fish using fresh tasty and smelly roe is simply foolish. For some people it is all about catching more fish, and those folks will use whatever means necessary to achieve that goal. “The ends justify the means” so to speak. Some people, however, prefer to challenge themselves more. "The means is itself the ends.” It is a personal choice. Sure flyfishing allows anyone the opportunity, if they were so inclined, to catch coho without worrying about flossing or snagging many fish. Sure flyfishing allows anyone the opportunity to pull fresh bright silver coho out of a pool seemingly teaming with dirty chum. However, while coho will readily attack a fly, don't get the idea that it is "easy" to catch fish this way. You must still learn to make flies that coho find attractive (buying them just doesn't give you the same satisfaction). Then you must find that aforementioned “coho water”, the back eddies, sloughs and deep slow moving pools. The challenge doesn't end there. You must then learn to cast the fly without hooking yourself, the fisherman next to you, the tree above you, or the poor sap walking their dog thirty feet behind you. Once the fly hits the water it is a matter of finding the right depth and speed of retrieve. Then if one bites, you must learn how to be patient and not jerk the hook out of its mouth, but wait for it to turn with the fly and then set the hook solidly. Then of course there is the challenge of playing the fish while reeling in the thirty feet of line that lies coiled at your feet. You do this all the while keeping the fish off the lines of the ten other fishermen that have just cast their lures where you last presented your fly in the hopes of hooking your fish's mate. If you have ever managed to catch coho this way, then you have some idea of the pleasures and rewards that flyfishing offers. Moreover, if you have experienced this then you would not bother trying to argue that flyfishing is better than drift fishing, spin fishing or any other kind of fishing.
Sandman
Rivahman Wed, May 4, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Coho Flies, lures (and flossing) from the Report page Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 Sorry but I take exception to the comment by Brian:
"Also when your retrieve is slow-medium and the fish hits on the pause of the retrieve this also reveals that they are pursuing the fly." I would suggest to you the exact opposite. You will have a difficult time in convincing me otherwise but please do so, that is how we learn but... in my experience with stripping flies and hotshot plugs is...fish will ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS bite just as you are stripping in. It is the 'escaping prey' that instinctively cause fish to bite, whether they are hungry or not. A stationary bait in my opinion, offers nothing of interest to a non-feeding fish. We can get into a discussion of why salmon will bite roe that is stationary but..thats a diff topic.

Also, it is very difficult or near impossible in my estimation to say that I or you have never flossed a fish (other than socks of course). The very fact that the fly or lure hooks itself, other than directly in the mouth, only suggests to me that the fish missed it. Fish aren't perfect. They do miss occasionally. Well thats my story and I'm stickin to it :D
Username:    Password:    Remember Me:
The views expressed within this forum are not necessarily those of the AnglingBC Fishing Forum.
Inappropriate content may be edited or removed

[ Home | Contact Us | Advertise Here | Search Engine Optimization | Resorts Lodges | Guides Charters | Fishing Clubs | Tackle Suppliers | Gear for Sale | Product Reviews | Fly Fishing | Bass | Halibut | Kids Fishing | Salmon | Steelhead | Sturgeon | Trout | Hunting | Fishing Reports | Fishing Forum | Books | Articles | Events | BC Info | Fishing Links | Gallery ]

Copyright © 2018, GetSet! Communications All rights reserved.