LogIn

B.C. Boat and Sportsmen's Show
Forums > Fly Fishing > Flyline opinions from the experts...
Moderators: anglingbc, WEBFLYZ BC
Last Post: Tue, May 24, 2005   Topics: 53   Posts: 12
Forums Forums Search Search    Memberlist Memberlist
New Topic     Reply View unanswered posts
marshal Fri, May 20, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote
Hi,
I'm new to river fly fishing for salmon. I have an mod/fast 8 wt.
What type of flyline do you recommend? (sink tip, etc.)
What set up for leader do you recommend? (size, length, etc.)
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)
Sandman Sat, May 21, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote

My most used setup is a sinktip line with a six foot leader of 6 pound maxima. When the coho are shy I might switch to a floating line and add a three foot tippet of 4-5 pound test. If fishing deep pools or in the chuck, I might go to a full sink and fish right off the bottom. Clear flylines have become very popular with coho fishermen and after my luck this season, I might just give them a try. Tight lines.
Guest Sat, May 21, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote

For salmon fishing with the fly rod you really need two set-ups:

The first is for swinging big bright flies in deep pools and fast water. For this I recommend a type iv to type vi wet-tip with a short leader no more than 6 feet in length. Sandman is crazy to use 6 lb tippet, you're either going to a) play the fish out to exhaustion or b) break the bastard off. I use 10lb tippet, minimum! 15-20 for Chum! But the breaks on 'em and yard 'em in!

The second set-up is for targetting fish in estuaries, sloughs, shallow stretches, etc. A ghost tip, slime-line, or full floater with a long leader all work well. For a slime line or ghost-tip, a 6-9' foot leader will work fine. If you use a full floater, a 9-12' flourocarbon leader with a stiff butt section for positive turnover. 8-10lb tippet for these set-ups as well.

Hope that helps you out.
Sandman Sun, May 22, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 Crazy or not, I have never had a problem landing a coho on 6 pound maxima. Even a "big" coho, if hooked in the mouth, comes readily to heel within a few minutes. I've hauled in fifteen pound chrome chum without a problem. The six pound line means that if I do foul hook a fish by accident, it is quickly and easily broken off, so I can get back to fishing. Go ahead and tie on ten pound test minimum, but it will be rare to hook a coho much bigger than ten pounds. Quite frankly it's overkill.
Guest Sun, May 22, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 Marshal, You didn't mention what species you were targetting, that has some relevance to your choice of line. Also you didn't say what reel you were going to use. So let's assume late run coho and steelhead for now.
An 8 wt Cortland 444 16 ft fast sink tip is a very good line. It casts very well as it is quite slippery and sinks quickly. You can also "mend" better to get it even deeper.
A full sink type 6 SA Mastery series is a good line too. The diameter is very small so it sinks quickly but is more difficult to mend and you can get snagged if the run is not deep or the water flow is not fast. This can be a real pain as the line can be damaged. However you will get down to the two target species which is the important thing.
The intermediate sink clear /camo lines are excellent on still waters or those shallow slow runs coho like. In faster water they are not as good as they sink very slowly and because of the diameter are forced to the surface in fast water.
Last but not least an SA Mastery 8wt floating line can also be a good choice. You attach a Courtland leader loop then you can fish on the surface or fish a weighted fly a couple of feet down or attach a sinking shooting head and get really deep. That line will be useful all over the province.
I use all the lines mentionned above on my 8wt. (and my 5wt and 3 wt rods)
Guest Sun, May 22, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 Forgot about leaders. As you are new, stay away from the light stuff. Once you are as expert as some go for it, but for coho and steelies either get a manufactured leader in 6ft length testing to 10 lbs like those made by Rio or go with at least 12lb Maxima or better yet 10 /12 lb Flourocarbon. At least you will be able to land that fish decently quickly to be released or bonked.
Reels are a whole other topic
marshal Mon, May 23, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: Reply Quote
Sandy, as far as reels go, I was going to use a BFR Dragonfly 395 (a reel I have for trout fishing). Apparently, the drag can be somewhat modified to increase it.

Any other info? :?
Guest Mon, May 23, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 I'm not familiar with that reel. You will probably find that sooner or later you will want to get a better reel (nice XMas present). But if your reel can hold it put at the very least 100yards of 25lb backing. You don't want to lose that salmon and perhaps the expensive fly line as the fish hits the fast water and heads towards the ocean. You will find that a good quality reel will make playing the fish that much more fun. I use a Lamson 3.5 with extra spools for the different lines. It has a nice drag and is not too expensive. But at first hopefully the one you have may be fine.
Sandy
Guest Mon, May 23, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: tippets Quote

Man I only use Max 4 pond tippet for coho and six weight. Anything else is over kill.

Now Bass that's a fish! Need 8 weight and much heavier tipper! And they are here to stay in the Lower Mainland!
Guest Tue, May 24, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote

You're the man!!!

Marshall be careful with that reel... you might fry the drag if it is just a trout reel. But if you use 6lb tippet, you'll be breaking off fish that are too big for that reel any way, so you're probably safe. Get the larger capacity model of that same reel by BFR... there's nothing wrong with it. I've caught 10-20 lb Arctic Charr all day long with one... they're great reels.

Oh by the way Sandman... coho over 10lbs are rare??? I caught a ten and a fourteen pounder this past weekend... IN THE MOUTH. Wait a minute ... you're right... I had 8lb tippet on... not 10.

Marshall the lesson to be learned here is that every guy on the water has his own version of what works best... listen to a lot of guys... and draw your own conclusions... if it works for you then stick with it... there are no rules (other than those in the Provincial Regs!!!) in fly fishing.

Sandman... I like your style... tight lines!

Winter riffle.
Sandman Tue, May 24, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote

I too have a 395 and it has worked fine. It also has held up nicely in the salt, but you do need to clean it well after each use. I haven't heard of any "modification" to be made to the drag, I simply palm it if I have a beast on. If you are truly green , then you may want to listen to the guys suggesting the investment into quality gear. However, as someone who was raised and has lived on a thread bare budget (teacher's salary and all), I have to say that practicing with what you have will go further to honing your skills as a flyfisherman. True, you may lose the odd fourteen pounder, but when you beach one with your dime store set up, you can grin at the guys with their sage rods and islander reels, and say tight lines all.
mike.c Tue, May 24, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:Flyline opinions from the experts... Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 The lines I would recommend are the SA Mastery steelhead taper 8wt,this line is long bellied(mends easy),turns over nicely and can shoot long distances.Secondly I would recommend some sort of monocore (clear intermediate) or intermediate clear tip,lots to choose from now.For sink tips FAST,4-6 ips.Teeny mini tip and SA 13-15ft. Lastly I would recommend one piece 24ft shooting heads 200-300 gr with floating running lines.Try not to overload the MF rod.This covers the spectrum.As for your reel be careful the spools on the BFR's tend to warp under heavy loads.
Username:    Password:    Remember Me:
The views expressed within this forum are not necessarily those of the AnglingBC Fishing Forum.
Inappropriate content may be edited or removed

[ Home | Contact Us | Advertise Here | Search Engine Optimization | Resorts Lodges | Guides Charters | Fishing Clubs | Tackle Suppliers | Gear for Sale | Product Reviews | Fly Fishing | Bass | Halibut | Kids Fishing | Salmon | Steelhead | Sturgeon | Trout | Hunting | Fishing Reports | Fishing Forum | Books | Articles | Events | BC Info | Fishing Links | Gallery ]

Copyright © 2018, GetSet! Communications All rights reserved.