LogIn

B.C. Boat and Sportsmen's Show
Forums > Fly Fishing > steelhead info
Moderators: anglingbc, WEBFLYZ BC
Last Post: Wed, Feb 15, 2006   Topics: 53   Posts: 9
Forums Forums Search Search    Memberlist Memberlist
New Topic     Reply View unanswered posts
Guest Sat, Jun 25, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: steelhead info Quote

salmon fishing is over in the river but i thought id try some steelhead fishing this year can anyone tell me which river in the vally is the best and whens the best time to catch them.
thanks to anyone who replys :)
Oliver Mon, Jun 27, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:steelhead info Quote
Joined: Mar 2006 [quote:3055d6a979="Anonymous"]I think the fly fishers deserve a break from all the beaks who no doubt crowd them out.
[/quote:3055d6a979]

Why should the fly fishers get special openings based only on their chosen method of angling? I think the gear anglers need a break from all the fly anglers who view themselves as some how more "enlightened" or "better" than everyone else. If a fly fisherman doesnt like the crowds of the Vedder its the same for a gear fisherman, fish somewhere else!
Oliver Tue, Jun 28, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:steelhead info Quote
Joined: Mar 2006 I fish it all the time too. I dont see what the problem with the "crowding" is. Its easy to fit 8 or 10 guys in most holes anyways.
Sandman Tue, Jun 28, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:steelhead info Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 Do you fly-fish Oliver? 8 to 10 floats or blades in a hole or on a run may be do-able, but it would be next to impossible to fit 8 to 10 fly fishers in most holes or runs on the river. The way the line acts in the water is much different from floats or blades. Many gear chuckers do not recognize this difference, or they simply do not care, and will continually cast over a fly line. This is why most fly fishers will take the effort to hike to more secluded stretches. We simply need more room. It is a matter of practical application of the technique. It is not about fly-fishing being more "enlightened" or "better." Although there is a certain Zen and art to fly fishing, this is not a valuation of the technique over and above others. I suspect that other techniques could instil similar feelings in other people. Who is to say one is "better" than the other. Imagine three people each bought a Monet painting and hung it in their respective abodes. Now imagine that one bought the painting because they appreciated Monet's brushwork, one because they saw it as an investment and the last because it matched their decor. Would the reasons why they chose the painting change the real value of the artwork? No. Neither would those reasons determine why the Monet painting in my house is "better" than a Renoir painting in your house. The same goes with our choice of fishing technique. The reasons for our choices vary greatly, but they have no bearing on the quality or perceived value of the technique itself. I appreciate the Zen and artistry of fly-fishing. It is a personal choice. This does not make fly fishing as a technique "better" than chucking blades or drifting guts, just more preferable to me. If you are not a fly-fisher, I wouldn't expect you to understand. Most part-time fly-fishers don't get it either. However, my reasons for choosing fly-fishing also do not change the fact that I need more room than the guy throwing blades. I can not stand shoulder to shoulder with another fishermen and expect to fish effectively, or avoid injury. I also would not want to do so. So as I said earlier, I can only speculate about the reasons why we have a fly fishing only time on the river, but I am certainly not going to turn down the opportunity to get out and fish the river in relative peace.
Sandman Thu, Jun 30, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:steelhead info Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 [quote:24e1999efc]Sorry Sandman, that last post was a pretty big troll. [/quote:24e1999efc]

Well, thanks for releasing me unharmed, and I apologize if I took you into your backing. Sounds like we are of a like mind when it comes to crowds, so we will not likely run into each other on the river, so tight lines to you.
Guest Thu, Jun 30, 2005 - 12:38 PM     Subject: RE:steelhead info Quote
its look like you hate a fly fisherman, i hope you will not try to fly fish the rest of your life.
Coastfisher Wed, Feb 15, 2006 - 1:20 PM     Subject: RE:steelhead info Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 OK here you go this is from the Nov/Dec2004 issue of Sportfishing BC

This is according to Bob Hooton the head of fish and wildlife science and allocation section of the Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection in Nanaimo

"Hooton found that most studies pegged steelhead catch-and-release mortality at five percent, with an artificial lure and single hook. However, the mortality rate is 4-10 time higher when bait is used. With baited hooks, fish are more likely to swallow the hook deeper, increasing the chances of seious bleeding and internal injuries. In almost every study bait catch rates were significantly higher than those fishing with artificial lures"

So I'll break it down for you like this either ban bait or have river closures.

You fish with bait you catch more fish but the chances of that fish dying are very high or fish with lures catch less fish but the chances are higher for that fish to live to fight another day. The later would mean more fish for the future and less risk of a closure.
Now I don't know the regs on some of the lowermainlands or the valleys rivers and bait bans might already be in effect. But alot of the trouphy lakes around kamloops are fly fishing only and that is there for a reason. You will likely see alot more fly fishing only waters in the future as it is a very effective method of conservation. I assume you have never fly fished and caught a 7 pound rainbow trout on a 6 weight fly rod. I can't even imagine what a 14 pound steelhead would be like. Big Grin
Username:    Password:    Remember Me:
The views expressed within this forum are not necessarily those of the AnglingBC Fishing Forum.
Inappropriate content may be edited or removed

[ Home | Contact Us | Advertise Here | Search Engine Optimization | Resorts Lodges | Guides Charters | Fishing Clubs | Tackle Suppliers | Gear for Sale | Product Reviews | Fly Fishing | Bass | Halibut | Kids Fishing | Salmon | Steelhead | Sturgeon | Trout | Hunting | Fishing Reports | Fishing Forum | Books | Articles | Events | BC Info | Fishing Links | Gallery ]

Copyright © 2018, GetSet! Communications All rights reserved.