LogIn

B.C. Boat and Sportsmen's Show
Forums > Fly Fishing > 7 weight fly rod sufficient for Steelies
Moderators: anglingbc, WEBFLYZ BC
Last Post: Wed, Feb 18, 2004   Topics: 53   Posts: 4
Forums Forums Search Search    Memberlist Memberlist
New Topic     Reply View unanswered posts
Guest Tue, Feb 17, 2004 - 12:37 PM     Subject: 7 weight fly rod sufficient for Steelies Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 From Dex (from the fishing report section)

I have a question to the flyfishermen in here. Do you think a seven
weight fly rod is sufficeint enough to go after the Steelies in Vedder?

Dex, depending on the leader you use. Of course if you go too light and take too long to get a wild fish to the beach you have killed it, as a good number of "long played" fish die after release. Stay with the nine weight, I have used one for the past 20 or so years with great fish control.....fishface

I concur. An eight weight rod is probably as light as you want to go. Although if you can't on afford to run out a buy a new rod, go ahead and use the seven weight. Any fish under 8 pounds or so should not be a problem in the Vedder. Should you get into a larger fish that gives you more fight than you can handle, or gets into faster water, you can always "long line" release it. Cheers. ;-) Sandman

Dex - the issue isn't your rod the right weight for the fish it's is it the right weight for the sort of line and the size of fly you'll be using.

I know a well known guide and tackle store employee who years ago told me he used a #7 for fishing the vedder and Squamish.

It'll also depend on the particulaer rod. If your rod has a firm butt section it should be able to handle a #8 or even #9 line. JUst don't hold a lot of line in the air. Get 25 to 30 feet off the tip of the rod and cast - no more than one or 2 false casts. Ralphh

Thanks for all the helpfull suggestions guys. It's veteran sportsfishermen like you that lead ROOKIES like me to fish the right way. Dex
Guest Wed, Feb 18, 2004 - 12:37 PM     Subject: 7 weight rod Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 I've been using 7 weight st croix rod for the last 3 years and it hasn't failed me yet. I have caught countless coho and chum on the rod. played a spring for about 15 seconds. Haven't had any steelies on it yet but I am sure it will serve me well. I have all faith in my 7 weight.
mike.c Wed, Feb 18, 2004 - 12:37 PM     Subject: RE:7 weight fly rod sufficient for Steelies Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 I have had discussions about 7wt fly rods and steelhead with a reputable rod builder. He felt it was a nowhere line weight.By that he mean't it had limited uses,it can only airialize about 200grains of line weight thus limiting its usefulness for winter steelhead fishing. It could be considered a good line weight for dry fly steelheading but it would not be fast enough to throw large deer hair bugs and still be considered fishable. Try a 9.5 to 10 foot 8 wt. it can handle most sinking lines up to 300grains in 15-25 ft lengths and will throw a long bellied steelhead line a good distance.
WildBill Wed, Feb 18, 2004 - 12:37 PM     Subject: RE:7 weight fly rod sufficient for Steelies Quote
Joined: Feb 2006 I pretty much never use any thing lighter than an9.5' # 8 for winter fish, mostly because the lines I use would not cast well with it.
I think the 7 would handle most of the fish I hook ok, I would not use it on the Salmon river where steelies can go over 20 lbs quite often.

I often use a 9' 5 wieght for dry fly summer fish, seems to work ok. I tend to play fish pretty hard though, I hookup often enough so I don`t worry too much If I loose a few. I prefer a good fast, hard fight to haveing to nurse a fish in...I personally think they recover better this way too.

I don`t really see a lot of use for a #7 myself on the coast....unless you can not afford 2 rods then it gives you a rod for trout and steelhead/salmon I suppose.
I don`t like the #6 for the same reason.... a bit too heavy for most of our trout, and a bit too light for anything else exept maybe pinks/searun cuts...also wind is often a problem for me with the lighter rods...I beach fish a lot, mostly I find I use the #8 even for trout because of the wind, although a #5 or so is more fun if I can cast with it.
Username:    Password:    Remember Me:
The views expressed within this forum are not necessarily those of the AnglingBC Fishing Forum.
Inappropriate content may be edited or removed

[ Home | Contact Us | Advertise Here | Search Engine Optimization | Resorts Lodges | Guides Charters | Fishing Clubs | Tackle Suppliers | Gear for Sale | Product Reviews | Fly Fishing | Bass | Halibut | Kids Fishing | Salmon | Steelhead | Sturgeon | Trout | Hunting | Fishing Reports | Fishing Forum | Books | Articles | Events | BC Info | Fishing Links | Gallery ]

Copyright © 2018, GetSet! Communications All rights reserved.